Celtic Art

This section includes book reviews. We hope this section will help you to get more of a feel for the period we seek to re-create. Some of these resources may also inspire you to undertake new projects to add to your collection of period equipment and to the clann atmosphere in general. Please help out by submitting material for this section.
Forum rules
Submissions should be relevant to our chosen period of study in some way.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Celtic Art

Post by Comyn »

Celtic Art: The Methods of Construction
by George Bain

Find on Amazon
Find on Amazon
bain.jpeg (25.68 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

In my quest to reproduce Celtic art several years ago, I began with this book as my only guide for a time before I discovered Aidan Meehan's series. The book was originally written to serve as a text book for elementary and secondary art students, and is faithful to the source material which Mr. Bain clearly studied in great detail. There isn't much in the way of text, most of the book is art with notes in the margins on how to do this or that tricky bit, in fact - a lot of it totally confounded me. However, if you have only one Celtic art reference, let this one be it.

Dover edition, 1973, an unabridged republication of the MacLellan & Co. Glasgow 1951 edition.
ISBN 0-486-22923-8