Apple Walnut Tart

A place to share recipes to help in the planning of events
Forum rules
Recipe topic threads should be unique. Alternate recipes for already existing recipe topics should be posted as a Reply to that topic. The subject of the reply should be changed to reflect the author of the alternative. Posts that do not conform to this convention are subject to being moved and having their subject line edited by Moderators.
sabha

Apple Walnut Tart

Post by sabha »

Pastry:
1 ¼ Cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup (½ stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pats
¼ cup chilled solid vegetable shortening
3 to 4 tablespoons cold water

Prepare Pastry:
1. Combine flour and salt in medium-sized bowl. Cut in butter and shortening with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Over mixture, tossing lightly with fork after each addition, until pastry is just moist enough to hold together. Shape pastry into disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour or until firm.

2. Preheat oven to hot (400°)

3. Roll pastry out on lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin into a 13 inch circle. Fit into 11 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Fold over-hang over and press to reinforce side of tart. Line pastry with aluminum foil. Fill with pie weights or dried beans.

4. Bake tart shell in preheated over (400°) for 15 minutes. Remove foil and weights. Bake 5 to 10 minutes to brown.

Filling:
1 ¼ cup walnuts
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
¼ teaspoon salt

6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

3 tart green apples, peeled, quartered, cored, cut into 1/8-inch-thick wedges
¼ cup honey

For Filling:

1. Combine walnuts, ¾ cup sugar, eggs, 1 tablespoon water, extracts and salt in food processor. Blend until soft paste forms. Add 4 tablespoons butter; blend 10 seconds. Spread in crust. Chill until firm, about 45 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, stir apples, 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon sugar in a large bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes.

3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Drain apples; overlap in concentric circles atop filling. Melt 2 tablespoons butter; brush over apples. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.

4. Cover exposed areas of crust with foil to prevent excessive browning. Bake tart 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F. Bake until apples are tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer to rack. Heat honey in a microwave about 15 – 30 seconds until thin. Brush over apples. Cool. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature).

My Notes:

The original recipe called for almonds in place of the walnuts, brandy in place of the water and a shell which was more cake-like. I made the modifications originally because I didn’t have some of those ingredients and I think it worked out fine. The original is a “French Apple-Almond Tart” from Bon Appétit October 1997. I have since tried almonds and substituted McIntosh apples successfully. Once I mistakenly omitted the eggs from the nut filling and I personally like the filling better that way (delicious for spreading on breads and stuff – which I wouldn’t do with the raw eggs). The eggs seem to puff up the filling a bit during cooking and the apples adhere better when the eggs are included. This is recipe takes a long time to prepare – I think my record is about 3 hours from start to finish, but it isn’t all work time.