New Tent

Anything that comes to mind. Members should use the TdB Member forums for official or private business. Forums in this area are readable by anonymous visitors, and registered users can post here.
Forum rules
Use this forum to discuss topics of history or craft as related to our hobby.
As this is a PUBLIC forum, be discrete! Private matters should be discussed in the TdB Member forums!
Any post which is deemed too sensitive for public consumption may be moved to the Private Discussions forum by Moderators.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

New Tent

Post by Comyn »

Sabha and I ordered a new tent from Panther yesterday! We've been planning to do so for... only about 10 years now. We appreciate all the advice that we got from Aonghus on what would be most period, best value, most versatile - but we ignored most of his good advice and did what we wanted to anyway ;)

We settled on a (non-seam engineered) 14' x 14' center pole Marquee with square dagging (with a plum bead), all the setup poles and stakes, and a separate plastic backed canvas flooring. The idea being to partition off the back of the tent for mundania and sleeping gear with a home-made partition (eventually decorated I hope). We believe with this size we'll be able to partition off either a 7' x 7' area for basic hiding of stuff or a 14' x 7' area for sleeping as desired, leaving a large enough area for parental hanging space around a hopefully-soon-to-be-made table. We really wanted a marquee so that we could use it for mundane/Clann parties in the backyard, as well as for possible craft show use in future. Panther said 3 to 4 weeks, so if they are true to their word, it should debut at Beltaine.

No more big green canvas aluminum-pole 1970s-era family-man tentage for the Comyn brood!
Aonghus

Re: New Tent

Post by Aonghus »

Hey man, even if you ignored all i had to say, its your tent and you're the folk that should be happy with it. Truth is all panther tents are very nice and its mostly a matter of preference.

another mundane tent bites the dust!
Faellon

Excellent!

Post by Faellon »

No more green monster in camp!
Comyn

Not easy being green

Post by Comyn »

I actually wanted to get the tent made in green colored canvas, but it was way too expensive. Even for just the walls in green it wasn't worth it to me. Actually not green, but their khaki color. Yeah, that old Morsan was a bit of an eyesore.
Guthrum
Chieftain
Chieftain

Re: New Tent

Post by Guthrum »

that's really cool. Cant' wait to see it
Comyn

tent arrived

Post by Comyn »

UPS delivered the new tent today! Now to decide what to protect the poles with, and whether to paint them a bit too. I originally planned on painting some kind of pattern on them (a green horizontal stripe or perhaps something more complicated like Celtic geometric patterns) before sealing them either with clear polyurethane, but am also considering the relative merits of spar varnish and linseed oil. I can't wait to set it up and check it out!
Aonghus

Tent related

Post by Aonghus »

This was found in an old meetin min and would be usefull to keep archvied and updated:

Known Tent Sizes:
  • Aonghus 12x14 w/ 7’ rope space
  • Brogan 16’ round
  • Collin 12x14 w/ 5’ rope space
  • Eberwulf 10x10 w/ 5’ rope space
  • Fallen 10x10 w/ 5’ rope space
  • Falgon 10x10 w/ 5’ rope space
  • Finnoula & Guthrum 16’ round
  • Darmaid & Grannia ??
  • Momus 8x10
  • Valerian 10x10 w/ 5’ of rope space
  • Vollund 16’ Round