Aonghus' Slat Bed

Anything that comes to mind. Members should use the TdB Member forums for official or private business. Forums in this area are readable by anonymous visitors, and registered users can post here.
Forum rules
Use this forum to discuss topics of history or craft as related to our hobby.
As this is a PUBLIC forum, be discrete! Private matters should be discussed in the TdB Member forums!
Any post which is deemed too sensitive for public consumption may be moved to the Private Discussions forum by Moderators.
Cormac
Class: Official Friend of the Clan

Aonghus' Slat Bed

Post by Cormac »

I was looking through the photo section (specifically "Crafts") and saw a picture of Aonghus' bed. Very NICE job!

I'm wondering what the provenance for a Celtic bed is? The knot work makes it look more Norse/Anglo-Saxon (and a variety of Norse rope beds have been found). BUT I've heard that some Celtic museum villages on the Continent have decided that not all the post holes for the excavated Round Houses were actually structural in purpose. They propose that they were for permanent furniture and other items.

Of course my wife would love it if I learned something other than sleeping on the ground were period! :)
Aongus-bed.jpg
Aongus-bed.jpg (54.47 KiB) Viewed 3058 times
Aonghus

Re: Aonghus' Slat Bed

Post by Aonghus »

Gobae,

Thanks, I think i spent 50 hours on that bed, 20 of which was carving.

The bed is indeed Viking in design and was made using plans that were developed from the Gokstad and Osberg finds.

http://www.ravensgard.org/prdunham/Gbed.html

I modified the plans dimensionally to suit my particular space. ( I raised the bed up for more storage room underneath to hide mundane stuff and added a few slats and center support rail for stability, this was made of cheap ¾ pine from home depot for economy sake, and the foot posts are cedar 4x4s.)

There are actually only two bands of simple rope twist knot work in the design, the rest is a stylized boar shape made of arcs, circles and swoops in sort of a interpretation of insular le tene. Though ultimately the inspiration for the boar was from a Pictish stone carving.

As for historic justification, you hit upon it with the round house post hole mention. I don’t recall my source offhand, but evidence of slat beds were found in round houses where the slats of the bed actually socketed into the wattle and daub work of the perimeter wall.

Ancient texts make reference to “bed boxes” and privacy screens for sleeping partitions in round houses, which would make sense to have as close to the outer wall as possible in a radial design leaving the middle of the round house for the common area and fire pit etc.

Since I could find no schematic for an Irish bed, and since my tent is certainly not of wattle and daub construction anyway, we used the Viking plans. (there are actually three or four beds of similar construction floating around – all carved in different styles)

I figure a slat bed is a slat bad, similar to how an oar pretty much must be shaped like an oar to work.

I know another round house bedding alternative was a formed clay slab of sorts.. also impractical for tent camping.

I’ll see if I can dig up my references.
Faellon
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Post by Faellon »

Speaking of slat beds... I'm thinking that maybe over the summer that I'd like to build a bed. I believe that Colin was thinking along the same lines as well. The old air mattress on the floor just isnt cutting it anymore...
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Post by Comyn »

We just received our three wooden cots from Panther. They´re certainly not awesome Viking / Celtic slat beds, but they do keep you off the ground. I did the ground thing for the absolutely last time this past soggy Samhain.