Crwth Questions

Anything that comes to mind. Members should use the TdB Member forums for official or private business. Forums in this area are readable by anonymous visitors, and registered users can post here.
Forum rules
Use this forum to discuss topics of history or craft as related to our hobby.
As this is a PUBLIC forum, be discrete! Private matters should be discussed in the TdB Member forums!
Any post which is deemed too sensitive for public consumption may be moved to the Private Discussions forum by Moderators.
Cormac
Class: Official Friend of the Clan

Re: Crwth Questions

Post by Cormac »

I found this page that describes making a round bodied crwth. My wood working skills aren't the greatest but it looks like I could make a "playable" instrument using these techniques. I'll need to decide whether or not to go with a flat bridge though. All the extant examples are flat, but one guy made one with a peaked bridge and the result is an instrument that is nearly as versital as a violin. I think that might be the same guy who uses the bow with his right hand and plucks on the fingerboard with his left at the same time. Awesome tune variation and increased versitility that way.

I'm thinking I'll probably be starting building it this summer depending on how far along I am with the Primitive Trek equipment. It'd be neat to bring it along on the Trek for evening music. I don't have many wood working tools so I'll have to decide whether to make those as well.

This is going to be an awesome project to add to our list! I'm glad we were able to provence the crwth to Ireland around 400CE.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

To Brogan

Post by Comyn »

Brogan - the gauntlet has been thrown. You MUST make me a Crwth now, and before Gobae can finish his! :)
Cormac
Class: Official Friend of the Clan

Re: Crwth Questions

Post by Cormac »

Hah! ROFL

[WWF Announcer Voice]
Forte, forte, forte! Come see battle of the Bards! Watch as these skilled musicians dash into the forest with only a herring to cut down the mightiest trees that will become their instruments! Thrill to the spectacle as they use only their teeth and finger nails to carve the wood into the instrument of their choice! Listen with awe, as music is created on those instruments with your very ears! Yes, that's right, the musicians will be using the ears of the audience to pluck with! Be a part of history, you'll lobe it!
[End Announcement]