Fall Thyng, 2007 Toys

Viewable by the public at large, registered users of the site and Friends can reply to topics which can only be created by TdB Members. Event newsletters should attempt to be in period style and use only persona names.
Forum rules
The best Event Newsletters are written in persona, not mentioning mundania or at least alluding to it only in period-esque terms.
Post title should be in the form: {Event name Newsletter, Year}
Post titles that do not conform to the convention are subject to change by moderators.
Cormac
Class: Official Friend of the Clan

Fall Thyng, 2007 Toys

Post by Cormac »

It looks like I will be attending Fall Thyng. Are there any of our (Ancient Celtic Clans) "toys" people here would specifically like me bring?

Some of our past projects (the toys) can be seen here

If there are people interested in doing some 400CE blacksmithing I'd be happy to bring the equipment. But, it's really a two person setup so I'll definitely need some one to switch off working the bellows with me.
Cormac

Re: Fall Thyng, 2007 Toys

Post by Cormac »

Well Fall Thyng was definitely a blast. According to the Troll, there were 64 people on the grounds; so (as I was told) one of their largest gatherings in a while.

Although I brought the 400CE Irish forge, I didn't realize no ground fires were allowed. And since the forge is nothing much more than a hole in the ground, that precluded using the forge.

I did meet Lynn and Aongus from your group. I didn't get to talk much with Aongus but he did an awesome job playing the whistle at the memorial fires. I spoke quite a while with Lynn, and had some good discussions.

The funny part is I didn't know that they were TdB members until just before I left on Sunday.

Regardless, they were great people to meet. I hope to meet more of you in the future!
Faellon
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Post by Faellon »

Lynnette and Angus are actually not TdB members. They are official "Friends of the Clann"

[corrected spelling since Angus doesn't spell his name like our Aonghus - Comyn, 160103]
Guthrum
Chieftain
Chieftain

Post by Guthrum »

Faellon wrote:Lynnette and Angus are actually not TdB members. They are official "Friends of the Clann"
They are not "Friends of the Clann," but they are our friends and do camp with us some times.
Cormac

Ahh!

Post by Cormac »

That's explains why they did not identify themselves as such. One of the Norselanders had indicated they were.

Then were there NO members of TdB at Fall Thyng?
Faellon

Post by Faellon »

Guthrum wrote:They are not "Friends of the Clann," but they are our friends and do camp with us some times.
My bad. I always thought they were FOTC
Comyn

the suspects

Post by Comyn »

It may have been difficult to pin down their true identities because they have a habit of wearing disguises ;) I suppose Brogan didn't make it up, or Valerian make it down? I know Brogie was talking about making it up - it was an important event because of the memorial, and I wish my own plans hadn't gotten squashed :p
Cormac

Post by Cormac »

Yes, there actually ended up being two memorials. Young Wolfgang made a beautiful memorial box for his grandmother (Ogier's mom?). People added mementos to it and it was burned after the boat.

Both memorials were a beautiful and touching finale to Saturday.

Additionally, since Wolfgang will turn 16 shortly, he was presented with a coif as his first adult armour.

I posted some of the pics I took here: Fall Thyng Photos

Cormac McInnean
Ollamh Gobae (Mastersmith)
for Ancient Celtic Clans
Comyn

boat pics and a gift

Post by Comyn »

The pictures are great! The boat is phenomenal, who made that? I was several years older when I first got into this stuff, I can only imagine how cool it would have been to get armor for my 16th birthday. Morcar is looking particularly gnomish in these shots by the way. Several years ago I penned a story called A Gift for Morcar about our first meeting - and my first Norseland event - if you're interested. I'll probably move it over to this site eventually.
Cormac

Well....

Post by Cormac »

The boat was burned in honor of Yvan Wolvesbane's mother. I'm emailing Raffan to try to find out who made it. I was talking with him (the maker) that afternoon, but his name is not what I thought it was.

I think once a reenactment group exceeds 10 people they should have a visual member directory :)