Imbolc Newsletter, 2011

Viewable by the public at large, registered users of the site and Friends can reply to topics which can only be created by TdB Members. Event newsletters should attempt to be in period style and use only persona names.
Forum rules
The best Event Newsletters are written in persona, not mentioning mundania or at least alluding to it only in period-esque terms.
Post title should be in the form: {Event name Newsletter, Year}
Post titles that do not conform to the convention are subject to change by moderators.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Imbolc Newsletter, 2011

Post by Comyn »

The Chieftain and the Brewey hosted this year's Imbolc feast at their roundhouse, welcoming the Clann and guests for a grand feast in honor of Brigit. The wise decision made by the Chieftain to clear snow and ice the week before was revealed as the guests arrived and all were able to make their way without serious injury and the Druid had clear and open space enough to fulfill his vow to cook the meat out of doors despite the elements.

The yurts were not raised by Brogan and Vollund due largely to mundane concerns but the tale was also told of how Vollund's yurt recently succumbed to the heavy snows and is currently in a collapsed and dilapidated state, but with everyone's help a temporary structure was raised against the icy rain which soon began to shower the assembled as wood was being brought to raise a fire.

Inside the roundhouse the children of the Clann, who seem to have grown to a throng in recent years, played games and worked on crafts to display on the craft table, while tables were assembled into the "Great Table" in preparation for feast. The assembled marveled as Comyn cut and sliced the root vegetables and brought them outside to cook on the fire, for cooking is something that he has nearly always refused to do. Comyn knew that if he did not prepare the food in front of the assembled that everyone would surely think he had simply had Sabha do it.

When the feast was ready, the Chieftain announced that the guests should be served first and so were called up the guests of Comyn and Momus to choose from Sirloin, chicken, coneys, Kale, root vegtables, pottage, breads and honey butter. Then the Clann did feast as only the Tuatha de Bhriain can!

A short ceremony was held by the Druid at the fire to remind the gathered of the reason for the gathering. Offerings were made, and the Clann soon retreated indoors.

The annual craft show proceeded in a light hearted manner as Comyn called each of the Clannsfolk in turn to present to the Clann whatever period crafts they had worked on during the last year. Crafts of several kinds were presented including
  • more attempts at felting by Guthrum
  • Sprang and looping bags with finger looped braiding by Sabha
  • Ghillies patterns in horse hide by Comyn
  • A cloak and a tunic by Finoulla for her new project to acquire more guest garb
  • a braided belt by Momus
  • Meads by Colin and Vollund
All other members were either excused or not present but for Eberwulf who, in order to avoid the satire of the Fili, performed a story that Comyn had brought of Finn and Grania to the total enjoyment of the assembled.

Colin failed in his pledge to organize and run a gaming table robbing the Clannfolk of the chance to separate him from some of his huge hoard of glittery baubles and beads which are much coveted.

Momus, the Bard, then led the musicians of the Clann in a short set of Clann favorites which was well received. Comyn performed on his "galute", Finoulla on her mandolin, with Guthrum and Momus on their bodhrans.

A more relaxing and enjoyable Imbolc I can scarcely recall.

This post will be updated with links to more information about crafts and photographs as they become available.
Faellon
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Re: Imbolc Newsletter, 2011

Post by Faellon »

Sorry that Aislinn, the boys and myself had to leave early. I do want to say that we had a great time at the event and I, for one, thought that having it at the home of Guthrum and Finnoulla was a fantastic alternative to our norm of doing it at a hall somewhere and would very much be in favor of making this a new tradition to have Imbolc at the home a Clann member not only for the monetary savings to the Clann, but also for the warm, homey atmosphere that is afforded by doing it this way.`
sabha

Re: Imbolc Newsletter, 2011

Post by sabha »

I have to agree with Faellon. It was very nice to have the event in a home and thanks again to Guthrum and Finnuala for graciously opening their home and offering to host. I enjoyed having Vollund's fire roasted beast cooked on site as well as having a beautiful kitchen available for the preparation of the rest of the feast. I was glad that so many of us were able to comfortably gather there together throughout the day. Thank you to G&F for all the hard work that went into preparing your home for us, thanks you to the cooks and thank you all for making our guests feel so welcome.