Celtic Cartoons

Anything that comes to mind. Members should use the TdB Member forums for official or private business. Forums in this area are readable by anonymous visitors, and registered users can post here.
Forum rules
Use this forum to discuss topics of history or craft as related to our hobby.
As this is a PUBLIC forum, be discrete! Private matters should be discussed in the TdB Member forums!
Any post which is deemed too sensitive for public consumption may be moved to the Private Discussions forum by Moderators.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Celtic Cartoons

Post by Comyn »

This just came through on the Iron Age Ireland e-list.

Ulster Cycle

This guy is putting the entire Ulster Cycle into cartoon / graphic novel format.

note: you can find the issues here as of 170114
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Re: Celtic Cartoons

Post by Comyn »

This seems to be a 'Prequel' to the Cycle, since 'Ness' is a little girl and the Ulster Cycle starts with the birth of Conchobar (the son of the Druid Cathbad and Nessa, if it be indeed the same). While I don't deny thinking that a graphic novel of the Ulster Cycle is a great idea, there are some other artists I would prefer take it on.
Cormac
Class: Official Friend of the Clan

Agreed

Post by Cormac »

Yes, the author indicated that he was starting with death of Ness' twelve foster fathers and going right on through to the death of Medb.

In general I think it's high time for these stories to be retold in contemporary English and in a variety of formats. The bulk of the "Celtic Myth" books I have are translations that are not particularly "readable" (as far as what a modern reader is used to) because they typically come from Victorian era translations, and take pains to use proper/correct English.

I'd also like to see versions of these tales that are in a "story telling" format; a style that easily goes from paper to voice.