Armor Making

Anything that comes to mind. Members should use the TdB Member forums for official or private business. Forums in this area are readable by anonymous visitors, and registered users can post here.
Forum rules
Use this forum to discuss topics of history or craft as related to our hobby.
As this is a PUBLIC forum, be discrete! Private matters should be discussed in the TdB Member forums!
Any post which is deemed too sensitive for public consumption may be moved to the Private Discussions forum by Moderators.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Armor Making

Post by Comyn »

Where does everyone get their leather from? I was on Tandyleather last night and the prices looked a little high. If I wanted to get enough leather to start a suit of armor (I assume a Lorca), though any other ideas are welcome - how much should I get, what thickness? I seem to remember 10 OZ? Do I get a double back?
Guthrum
Chieftain
Chieftain

Re: Armor Making

Post by Guthrum »

I have a lorca that I'm not using any more. If you want it you can have it. It's very think leather which means that it's a bit heavier, but you get the extra protection.
Comyn

Post by Comyn »

Sure! I would like to start putting together enough armor to get into some sparring this year sometime (if not Beltaine, then after getting some stuff at Pennsic).
sabha

Post by sabha »

Any other places to get leather nearby, or is it solely online now for most of us?
Faellon

Post by Faellon »

When I did mine a few years ago there were no local places to get leather. I had bought 2 sides from www.shopforleather.com, which I think is now part of Tandy Leather. Maybe you can also try ebay?
Comyn

Post by Comyn »

It appears that shopforleather.com goes to Tandy. I found the Marshal's Handbook here and it has a ton of information.

Heavy Leather: stiff, oak-tanned leather at least 1/8 inch (3.2mm) thick. Often referred to as belt leather or 11oz. leather.

Do most of you guys use 11oz?
Faellon

Post by Faellon »

I used 10-12 oz when I made mine. I made the mistake of wax hardening it and it ended up being too heavy. I think if you use 10-12 oz and water harden it you should be fine.
BroganTDB

Post by BroganTDB »

I made my new armor out of 9 to 10 oz. leather. I water hardened it and it is relatively light and very tough. I’ll be more then glad to help anyone that wants to make such armor. Also, me and Aoughus found a leather place in queens. We make the occasional pilgrimage to buy leather and tools. The prices are decent and they have lots ta choose from.

Inservice,
~Brogan
Aonghus

Post by Aonghus »

you need to read this first if you havent already

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/ ... ctImpd.pdf

the closest place to get leather is from a place called veteran leather in queens.

they also sell leather tools and kits cmperable if not better than tandy.

brogan and i have visted there 2 or 3 times.

they are listed in two locations... long island city and astoria..

the astoria location is the ne with the hobby store in it

http://www.veteranleather.com/

give em a call and make sure they are still up and running.