Samhain Newsletter, 1997

Viewable by the public at large, registered users of the site and Friends can reply to topics which can only be created by TdB Members. Event newsletters should attempt to be in period style and use only persona names.
Forum rules
The best Event Newsletters are written in persona, not mentioning mundania or at least alluding to it only in period-esque terms.
Post title should be in the form: {Event name Newsletter, Year}
Post titles that do not conform to the convention are subject to change by moderators.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Samhain Newsletter, 1997

Post by Comyn »

Samhain '97 News Letter

What News?

Samhain '97 edition

The Tuatha de Bhriain once again has gathered at Samhain to choose its leaders

The clan officers are as follows:

Chieftain - Aonghus
Druid - Comyn
Fili - Guthrum
Bard - Valarian

Congratulations to all and good luck in the tasks ahead.

And congratulations to our newest clan member- Sabha.

Samhain Event Report

Father-Sky saw fit to bless us with torrential rain for two days. Though this limited our activity and postponed some of the events we had planned for Samhain, everyone came together and made the absolute best of things. All present proved to be real troopers and it is a credit to us all for the amount we were able to accomplish.

Friday night kicked off with the usual set up and easing into the Celtic atmosphere. Weary traveler’s bones were warmed by Sabha’s tasty stew. The black-pot-stew is rapidly becoming a Friday night clan tradition. Casual revelry was enjoyed while sipping down (or gulping in some cases) Volund’s cider and Momus mead. Music was supplied by Erlan and Comyn.

Saturday rain proved a bit restrictive as much time was spent erecting a communal shelter and making special accommodations that normally would have been unnecessary. The Christians next door even invited us on their ark…but the said only two of us could go and we couldn’t decide who. But one thing about the rain – it certainly brought the clan together and there was an overwhelming sense of community.

The feast definitely did not suffer for the weather, as the amount of food was almost worthy of sating even the great Dagda’s appetite.

And how bout them masks!! Momus and Kresny’s mask making abilities astounded all. These masks were meant to disguise us mere mortals from the angry spirits who walked freely this night. The creativity showed in these masks was truly inspirational. How could such common materials be formed into such grotesque figures? Surely Momus must have peaked into the other world to bend such grim visages. Momus and Kresny took many of the mask "blanks" to work on for next Samhain. – I know a lot of us can’t wait to see the results.

And speaking of ghostly apparitions and surprise visitations – Larry, our wayward probate, honored us with his presence, bearing a pot of exquisite mulled wine and some excellent home baked breads. Yummy! Larry expressed his desire to make more events and I know we all would like to see him do just that.

The Friends of the Clan were in full force at the event. Con spent most of the event showing off his "short sword" much to everyone’s chagrin. Kudos to Eberwolf, Saxon Lawyer, for the new threads!

In addition to the regulars…it was great seeing some new faces at the event. To all the new folk – were all looking forward to seeing you again real soon.

Some points of Honor from the meeting:

Comyn stood before the assembled clan and vowed to complete the communal tent project (i.e. the big-top).

Cate has been officially charged with settling on an appropriate persona name for Imbolc.

Meeting Notice:

As stated at the Samhain gathering, look for a meeting announcement soon. Most likely this will take place in early December. The meeting will be held to plan for Imbolc and to discuss the usual clan business.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Re: Samhain Newsletter, 1997

Post by Comyn »

Samhain 97 News

Greetings All!
As your newly confirmed Druid I would like to thank everyone who attended our Feast of the Dead for pulling together and getting the job done despite the deluge. A special magical nod to Momus and Krezny for the wonderfully original masks! I look forward to seeing them again next Samhain! Special thanks to Erlan for rescuing my mandolin!
To the new friends we met met this weekend: Welcome! Get Sabha your address by emailing it to me so she can add you to the invite list! Welcome back, Larry!

To any friend of Grimnir that missed the event: Please email me and arrange to meet with me at Grimmies hobby shop. The Clan would like to extend a welcome to you, but we must all live within the strictures of our own law, no one man is above it.
Most of my clothes and gear are still water-logged as I'm sure yours are as well, so please remember to set up your tents as soon as it is sunny to allow them to dry fully and avoid canvas rot!
Remember: The clan needs wheels and suns. You have your mission.

Dear Clannsfolk, I would like to thank everyone for making the best of such a water-logged Samhain. This event, if nothing else, proves we can work together under the worst of circumstances and still have a good time. First congratulations to our clann officers, old and new. I personally was elected Bard and with the kind assistance of Comyn, I promise to do the best I can in the office and have lots of music and storytelling at all of our future events. I have already received a copy of The Book of Song and Comyn and I are planning to make a tape of at least some of the songs so that we may all learn them and be able to have music to augment the medieval atmosphere and add to the general merriment. If any of you have suggestions about songs or storytelling or learning an instrument please e-mail me at either Valarian@AOL or GalenFrost@AOL. Greetings and warm welcomes to the guests of Grimnear (forgive any misspelling), Conn and his guests, Brendan (my guest) and Jasmine/Fiona, Kate's guest. I hope everyone will attend future events and perhaps will opt to one day join our family. Special greetings to Larry, whom we have all missed greatly. Now that you have returned to us, there is no escape. I am not only very pleased to have gotten the chance to see you again, but as the first time you came to us, I was glad to see you participated fully in the celebration. The bread you baked and the mulled wine you brewed were excellent. Lugh would be proud! To Mainlia, Caitlin, Sil, Falgon, Cymrot, Sionnain, Rutger and the citizens of Norseland--you were missed and I hope to see you all at the next event. I was glad to see Momus and Kresne this weekend: many thanks for the fabulous mead and great job on the masks. Thank you also for the beeswax for finishing drinking horns as well as instructions for its use. Hopefully I will have the time to follow them. Thanks to Sabha, Comyn and Erlyn for a wonderful feast under such horrible conditions; especially when both Sabha and Erlyn had to contend with painful injuries. Personal thanks to Colin for the appetizers of beef heart and tongue; possibly the most unusual birthday presents I have ever gotten! Enough of my babbling--big pat on the back for all of us. Hope to see more messages on the board soon and to hear your suggestions on music, etc. Slan Agat! Valerian Ni Miach