Ancient foods website?

A place to share recipes to help in the planning of events
Forum rules
Recipe topic threads should be unique. Alternate recipes for already existing recipe topics should be posted as a Reply to that topic. The subject of the reply should be changed to reflect the author of the alternative. Posts that do not conform to this convention are subject to being moved and having their subject line edited by Moderators.
Faellon
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Ancient foods website?

Post by Faellon »

Aoife asked me to check with the Clann... She said a website was mentioned at the meeting talking about what foods were eaten at the time and she wants to order some seeds to grow some fresh produce
Aonghus

Re: Ancient foods website?

Post by Aonghus »

Two things...

The website mentioned at the meeting was not geared to ancient foods. It was a modern food list showing when things were in season Ireland. It was consulted on the chief's request to make Imbolc not only period but more seasonally appropriate.

The food on this list are what is currently grown in Ireland and not all of what is listed would be appropriate. Regardless, here is the website: http://www.bordbia.ie/consumer/aboutfoo ... chart.aspx

The second thing is I have been working on an article compiling what foods are appropriate as attested to by both the archaeologic record and surviving documentary evidence. I also hope to include justified imported foodstuffs as well. The article is taking a bit of time but I might post in sections given the interest.
Faellon

Post by Faellon »

Thanks Aonghus!
Comyn

Post by Comyn »

I've updated the minutes with the link and also included the graphic on our own site for archival purposes. I can't tell you the number of times I've linked out to things and when I go back a couple years later the site is gone or the page can't be found.

All members are encouraged to provide documentation for the site and if you do write up something I would certainly add pages related to food into the outline under the Recipe Book. Recipes forum [ed. 170117]