Iron Age Beer

A place to share recipes to help in the planning of events
Forum rules
Recipe topic threads should be unique. Alternate recipes for already existing recipe topics should be posted as a Reply to that topic. The subject of the reply should be changed to reflect the author of the alternative. Posts that do not conform to this convention are subject to being moved and having their subject line edited by Moderators.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Iron Age Beer

Post by Comyn »

Here's what an Iron Age beer tastes like
from Sify.com on 2011-01-16 16:30:00

An archeobotanist has discovered a 2550 year-old recipe for ancient Celtic malt beverage.

Hans-Peter Stika of the University of Hohenheim in Stuttgart has been spending time at ancient Celtic sites, figuring out how the local groups made their beer, reports Science News.

He said that six specially constructed early Celtic ditches, previously excavated at Eberdingen-Hochdorf, a 2,550-year-old settlement in Germany, were used to make high-quality barley malt, a key beer ingredient.

Thousands of charred barley grains unearthed in the ditches about a decade ago came from a large malt-making enterprise.

The researcher bases that conclusion on a close resemblance of the ancient grains to barley malt that he made by reproducing several methods that Iron Age folk might have used.

He also compared the ancient grains to malt produced in modern facilities. Upon confirming the presence of malt at the Celtic site, Stika reconstructed malt-making techniques there to determine how they must have affected beer taste.

At the Celtic site, barley was soaked in the specially constructed ditches until it sprouted, said Stika.

Grains were then dried by lighting fires at the ends of the ditches, giving the malt a smoky taste and a darkened color. Lactic acid bacteria stimulated by slow drying of soaked grains added sourness to the brew.

According to Stika, unlike modern beers, the Eberdingen-Hochdorf brew probably contained spices such as mugwort, carrot seeds or henbane.

Excavations at the Celtic site have yielded a few seeds of henbane, a plant that also makes beer more intoxicating.

"These additives gave Celtic beer a completely different taste than what we're used to today," said Stika.

Heated stones placed in liquefied malt during the brewing process - a common practice later in Europe - would have added a caramelised flavour to this fermented Celtic drink, he added.

Stika suspected that fermentation was triggered by using yeast-coated brewing equipment or by adding honey or fruit, which both contain wild yeasts.

Celts consisted of Iron Age tribes, loosely tied by language and culture, that inhabited much of Western Europe from about the 11th to the first century B.C.

Classics professor Max Nelson of the University of Windsor in Canada, an authority on ancient beer, largely agrees with Stika's conclusions.

According to him, other stages of brewing occurred either at the site, as suggested by Stika, or nearby.

"Stika's experiments go a long way toward showing how precisely barley was malted in ancient times," he said.

Beer buffs today would regard Celtic beer as a strange brew not only for its flavour but because it would have been cloudy, contained yeasty sediment and been imbibed at room temperature, he added.

The study is published online in Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences. (ANI)
Faellon

Re: Iron Age Beer

Post by Faellon »

"Beer buffs today would regard Celtic beer as a strange brew not only for its flavour but because it would have been cloudy, contained yeasty sediment and been imbibed at room temperature, he added"
So, basically it is more like beer drank through most of Europe (specifically an English Bitter) than the crap that the mass market American brewers try to pass off as beer?
Comyn

Post by Comyn »

I can't say I've ever had an English bitter flavoured quite that way, though.
According to Stika, unlike modern beers, the Eberdingen-Hochdorf brew probably contained spices such as mugwort, carrot seeds or henbane.
Faellon

beer flavor

Post by Faellon »

True, I was referring mainly to the cloudy\yeasty factor and being enjoyed at room temp. When I was in England I dont think I got a cold beer anywhere and I drank bitters for the most part.
Fiachra
Sencha
Sencha

Post by Fiachra »

Aren't we still in the Iron Age? Or have we moved to the Plastic Age?