Pottage for a crowd

A place to share recipes to help in the planning of events
Forum rules
Recipe topic threads should be unique. Alternate recipes for already existing recipe topics should be posted as a Reply to that topic. The subject of the reply should be changed to reflect the author of the alternative. Posts that do not conform to this convention are subject to being moved and having their subject line edited by Moderators.
sabha

Pottage for a crowd

Post by sabha »

This is how the Pottage was prepared for Samhain 2007

1 1/2 medium to large heads (about the size of a small child's head) cabbage, shredded
1 package frozen chopped spinach
3 oz powdered beef bullion (or roughly 3/4 of a 4 ounce jar)
1 stick salted butter
1 42 ounce package Quaker Instant (1 minute) oats.
about 6 -8 quarts water

Combine the cabbage, spinach, bullion, butter and water in a cauldron and heat to boiling. Stir in the oatmeal and realize there was probably too much water to start with. Keep the pottage on the fire and find someone to stir as some water boils off until it looks right (thanks Colin).

In the future I would try to cut back the water a bit more to just a bit under the recommended amount on the package and add more if needed at the end.
sabha

Scaled down version in the works

Post by sabha »

I am working on cutting the recipe down to family size for all those pottage fans who just can't wait till the next event for your pottage fix. I have a test recipe calculated, but I want to do some experiments and try it out before I publish. If anyone wants to give it a go themselves, message me and I'll send you the ingredient list.

Sabha