Imbolc Newsletter, 2008

Viewable by the public at large, registered users of the site and Friends can reply to topics which can only be created by TdB Members. Event newsletters should attempt to be in period style and use only persona names.
Forum rules
The best Event Newsletters are written in persona, not mentioning mundania or at least alluding to it only in period-esque terms.
Post title should be in the form: {Event name Newsletter, Year}
Post titles that do not conform to the convention are subject to change by moderators.
Faellon
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Imbolc Newsletter, 2008

Post by Faellon »

I just wanted to take a minute to comment on the Feast of Imbolc that was held this past weekend.

First, the new venue is fantastic. I see it as a MAJOR upgrade over the old hall in Patchogue. The building is great, we had a great view of the sunset over the bay and it was nice that the heat in the building worked great. Also, the kitchen was excellent. It was nice to be able to fit more than 2-3 people at a time and have plenty of room for people to cook and clean all at the same time.

Next, the feast itself.. I have to say that the food at this years feast was probably the best we've had in a long time. All of the dishes were exceptional this year. Brogan's roasted critters were all fantastic (you got Jenn to eat rabbit, which I never thought was possible) The pottage, barley and roasted veggies were great, the bread was just phenomenal and I received many compliments on my lamb stew. Thank you to all the cooks for making a very memorable meal for our feast!!

Thanks also go out to our Bardic Circle for providing an excellent accompaniment for the evenings activities and to our Druid for the excellent ceremony and for interceding with the gods to get us some great weather for the feast.

Faellon
Faellon

Re: Imbolc Newsletter, 2008

Post by Faellon »

If we can figure on breaking even every time we use this hall I would say that is a good thing. Its still worth being there as opposed to the old hall.
Comyn

Post by Comyn »

I have filed this thread into the Minutes and Flyers section for 2008.
Please note some pictures from the event have been added to the galleries.

Faellon has already said everything! We had an awesome time, I enjoyed hanging with everyone, playing and singing, and the several games of Fitchneal I got to play with Aonghus.

On the hall: I would be much more willing to extend invites to folks I know who are interested in checking out what we do at this place than at the old hall. Its big enough that you can float around to different areas and have a totally different event experience.

I could add that the hall had adequate privacy on the beach side for our ceremonial activities (and ceremonial deposition in a water body is *very* Celtic), and that the bathrooms were much nicer, and the fact that it has two doors allows folks to enter without chilling those poor saps sitting near the entryway as happened at the old hall.

My only concern with the new hall is the cost. I'm sure the treasurer will weigh in with final details at some point soon, but it appears that we just broke even - and that was with a good auction and Aonghus (who is otherwise on 'medical leave' stepping up to pay dues. If we made a good impression on the folks who run this place, perhaps next year we can bargain for a better price? I find it hard to believe this beach house would normally be rented in the dead of winter... but that's just a guess. Maybe Aonghus can keep an eye out and see how popular it really is over the next couple weeks.

It's a little out of the way for me, but our outdoor events are so close to me I can't complain about that with any credibility.
sabha

Post by sabha »

We actually made a small bit of cash!

We took in $160 in guest site fees, $159 in the auction and I am counting $20/member of dues as site fees for each event (I think that was the intent when the dues were raised correct). That minus the $495 hall cost netted $64 on the night. This counts any outstanding debts for the auction as paid. I will contact those who still owe the treasury off list with an amount and they can pay up at the next meeting.
Aonghus

Post by Aonghus »

I think with the change and improved venue, people were willing to accept a bit of a loss and were considering breaking even as the best we could hope for. Thus, coming out a little ahead is some good and unexpected news.

I already broached the subject of reduced fee for off season hall rental. It’s not happening. The neighborhood association uses that money for many purposes. Hall maintenance being an obvious expense… they also use the money they generate to maintain the boat basin.

The fee will be the fee, but, the plus side of it, as pointed out, is the vast improvement over the old place… just goes to show… you get what you pay for.

And as of yet.. I have heard no complaints in the aftermath of our usage.

Is "monkaí" focal greannmhar.
Comyn

Post by Comyn »

Here are the riddles presented by Eberwulf at Imbolc.

I'm by nature solitary,
scarred by spear
and wounded by sword, weary of battle.
I frequently see the face of war, and fight
hateful enemies; yet I hold no hope
of help being brought to me in the battle,
before I'm eventually done to death.
In the stronghold of the city sharp-edged swords,
skillfully forged in the flame by smiths
bite deeply into me. I can but await
a more fearsome encounter; it is not for me
to discover in the city any of those doctors
who heal grievous wounds with roots and herbs.
The scars from sword wounds gape wider and wider
death blows are dealt me by day and by night.

On earth there's a warrior of curious origin.
He's created, gleaming, by two dumb creatures
for the benefit of men. Foe bears him against foe
to inflict harm. Women often fetter him,
strong as he is. If maidens and men
care for him with due consideration
and feed him frequently, he'll faithfully obey them
and serve them well. Men succour him for the warmth
he offers in return; but this warrior will savage
anyone who permits him to become too proud.

The dank earth, wondrously cold,
first delivered me from her womb.
I know in my mind I wasn't made
from wool, skillfully fashioned with skeins.
Neither warp nor weft wind about me,
no thread thrums for me in the thrashing loom,
nor does a shuttle rattle for me,
nor does the weaver's rod bang and beat me.
Silkworms didn't spin with their strange craft for me,
those strange creatures that embroider cloth of gold.
Yet men will affirm all over this earth
that I am an excellent garment.
O wise man, weigh your words
well, and say what this object is.