Samhain, 2006 - Vollund's rite

Viewable by the public at large, registered users of the site and Friends can reply to topics which can only be created by TdB Members. Event newsletters should attempt to be in period style and use only persona names.
Forum rules
The best Event Newsletters are written in persona, not mentioning mundania or at least alluding to it only in period-esque terms.
Post title should be in the form: {Event name Newsletter, Year}
Post titles that do not conform to the convention are subject to change by moderators.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Samhain, 2006 - Vollund's rite

Post by Comyn »

Vollund's rite

The smell of smoke from the community fire was still in my nostrils as I pulled the heavy canvas of the yurt's door flap aside to allow my wife and children to enter. We were the next to enter the privacy of this sacred place and we didn't know what to expect. Vollund, the Clan's druid welcomed us warmly and offered us something to drink and a seat. The children were quiet - they knew that what was happening was important. Slowly, I outstretched my arm to rest on the Druid's altar and I took note of the incense, the candles around the room, the furs draped over wooden chairs, the solemnity of the ceremony was absolute. The great Druid of the Clann drew an ogham symbol of protection on the back of my hand and offered words of comfort to my elder child, nervous now during the sacred rite. We took our leave, comforted in the knowledge that we would be protected on this, the last night of the Celtic year - as the dead walked the Earth and flit past us in the shadows.