An Leabhar Geis - The Book “Taboo”

Anything that comes to mind. Members should use the TdB Member forums for official or private business. Forums in this area are readable by anonymous visitors, and registered users can post here.
Forum rules
Use this forum to discuss topics of history or craft as related to our hobby.
As this is a PUBLIC forum, be discrete! Private matters should be discussed in the TdB Member forums!
Any post which is deemed too sensitive for public consumption may be moved to the Private Discussions forum by Moderators.
Aonghus

An Leabhar Geis - The Book “Taboo”

Post by Aonghus »

An Leabhar Geis
The Book “Taboo”

For those who bore witness to the events of the Samhain Wicker Man ceremony, provided here is an elaboration and explanation…

A “geis” is a form of taboo in Celtic folklore and magic. Its plural form is “geisa” It is found in Ireland, Scotland, and Wales (in Welsh, it is known as a “tynged”).

“Taboo” is a close approximation in meaning, however where a taboo is “magical prohibition” a geis can be either a prohibition or an obligation. Depending on the particulars of the geis, it can be either a curse or a boon… sometimes both at once; That is, it may be a benefit through the majority of one’s life, but ultimately may be the cause of an individual’s demise. Violation of a geis is the surest way to bring doom upon oneself. In the ancient stories, we find that the violation of one’s geis is often caused by an conflict between multiple geisa upon a person.

At the Wicker Man ceremony, a geis was placed on Comyn and Bragg. Their geisa were to read a book that was presented to them then pass the book along to another clan member by Bealtaine.

The books were brought to the ceremony and revealed from a cloth bag that was made of scraps leftover from clan garb making by Sabha. This provided some excellent mojo in its symbolism. As cloth keeps people warm, knowledge fuels the fire of the mind (I would refer you to the song of Amergin in reference to the fire in the head).

The bag was placed in the wicker man fire to capitalize on the magic of the ritual. The wicker man, as a messenger to the otherworld, stood as a mystic notary public to bear witness of this spell and report it to the otherworld. This is strong draíocht.

Both Bragg and Comyn, in response “accepted” this geis, to which I replied they had no choice. This may seem harsh or arrogant, but the true nature of a geis is not a challenge to be accepted or rejected. It is a spell that one either adheres to or faces the consequences. In response, it probably would be best to simply say “I acknowledge this geis”. This isn’t the first geis ever placed in the clan. Manlia had placed the first geis I can recall, and I have my own self-imposed geisa. But it is a long time since such has been raised and it was never done so publicly and with as much mojo involved.

Unintentionally, I didn’t name the book that was handed out. This was a bit of a happy accident as it created some mystery and buzz after the fact. The more curious in attendance approached Comyn and Bragg and inquired about the book they received.

Also after the ceremony, Eberwolf (ever the consummate lawyer) approached me and wanted to know by what authority had I to place such a geis on another (and as is frequent of such conversation with Eberwolf, he didn’t really let me answer him – at least not at first). In truth, it was an excellent question. After all, if everyone started throwing these geisa around willy-nilly it would cheapen the concept and be subject to abuse.

Consider for a moment, that this ritual was not a rash spur of the moment undertaking, but a well thought out plan weeks in advance that was also some expense to me. And, aside from the fact that I could claim authority based on my knowledge and former positions I have held, there is a stronger magic here held as a governing force: Those who would use powers for ill gain or evil never escape the mystic justice of the otherworld and fall victim to their own machinations in the end.

For instance:
  • Balor, king of Fomorians, used his evil eye to lay waste to their enemies, but ultimately, his eye was put out and turned against his army, leading to the ultimate Fomorian defeat at the hands of the Tuatha De Dannan.
  • Filidh have the power to satirize which would raise welts and blemish the faces of the satirized. If a fili falsely satirized an individual, the blemish would manifest on his own face.
  • Closer to home, and also divinely apropos, you have all born witness to such mystic justice at this very Samhain. Eberwulf fell victim to his own sketchy attempt at satirizing candidate bards with his performance which, as you know, backfired on him and got him elected.
Here stands direct evidence of such retribution and warning to any who would rashly venture into the mists of droíachta for petty gain or vanity.

Sin é
(That’s it)
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

tuar ceatha léamh

Post by Comyn »

Comyn raced home from the Samhain festival, silently chuckling to himself. The old poet had laid a geis upon him, but surely such a task as this was a blessing not a curse! Reading was one of the things Comyn most loved to do and to have a geis upon him that he should do that thing seemed only the best of luck. Once at home he eagerly opened the book and began to read... an hour passed in his enterprise by which time he had only managed to read a page and a half of the tome, as each sentence contained references to ancestors, Gods, and fantastic events that required further study before he could continue in good conscience. Soon it was that Comyn realized Aonghus' geis would not be as easy to fulfill as he had initially thought.

An example, the mere mention of the name Cormac Mac Airt on page 22 led to a rabbit hole of research ultimately leading to the discovery of the story of Mac Con
http://www.ucd.ie/tlh/trans/md.pmla.60.001.t.text.html
wherein can be found Comyn Mac Fergus' palindromic namesake (Ferchis son of Commán) who served as spearman to Ailill and killed Mac Con against a stone (and was in turn killed in vengence for the deed).
Aoife
Fili
Fili
Class: Aurrad (Member)

The fire!

Post by Aoife »

I feel that this was such a wonderful thing to happen at the event! Once the bag was placed upon the wicker man, it made him become more alive! This was a wonderful thing to see and witness, and I can't wait to hear some of the insight from these chosen texts.