Etymology of the name Faellon

Anything that comes to mind. Members should use the TdB Member forums for official or private business. Forums in this area are readable by anonymous visitors, and registered users can post here.
Forum rules
Use this forum to discuss topics of history or craft as related to our hobby.
As this is a PUBLIC forum, be discrete! Private matters should be discussed in the TdB Member forums!
Any post which is deemed too sensitive for public consumption may be moved to the Private Discussions forum by Moderators.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Etymology of the name Faellon

Post by Comyn »

Ollie Phelan sent a message to the Clann:
Hello ,
Im from Dublin .
Im just curious where the name "Faellon" came from ? (one of your members) My brother studied "sean / midhe and nua gaelige" (old middle and modern irish ) and has an MA in Celtic studies from NUI University Maynooth (Eire) There is possibly a connection between his name and my own. If it comes from "Phelan " / Whelan " or Feeney , then he might be interested to know its etymology ?
To which Faellon responded:
The name Faellon that I use as my persona name in Tuatha de Bhriain translates to wolf, or little wolf in Gaelic and was the reason that I chose it.
Ollie replied with this:
More specifically "wolverine " or "wolfhead" .
I was thinking youd say "seagull"

"Wolfhead " was a term used across Ireland and Britain to describe a member of the Fianna ( "Fian" means wild ). The equivalent in Britain , as told in legend is Robin Hood (+merry men ). He was called "Wolfhead" by his enemies In France they developed into the Ribauds and Routiers . Oisin and Fionn mac Cumhaill would have been "wolfhead" also.

The legends of the Fianna / Oisin etc are romanticised and christianised .
The reality was a bit more messy and HIGHLY violent .

The same thing happens in most early cultures (I wouldnt be suprised if the american indians had a form of it ) Male children were not entitled to their heritage before 21 (or thereabouts). So, just like in modern times they became a bit rebellious , left home and formed into loose gangs with other youngersters. Especially males of noble birth. They'd basically go rampaginging around fighting / pillaging and looking for trouble. Often nobles or kings would send their children into foster care in a different country to prevent it happening (like Cu Chulainns son , and King Clovis in Clonmacnoise) When there was a threat to the country , or any large dispute , theyd be a ready made army. At 21 years of age theyd return home to claim their inheritance.

There were several "petty kings" around the 7th and 8 th century called Faelaen.