secrets of stonehenge

Anything that comes to mind. Members should use the TdB Member forums for official or private business. Forums in this area are readable by anonymous visitors, and registered users can post here.
Forum rules
Use this forum to discuss topics of history or craft as related to our hobby.
As this is a PUBLIC forum, be discrete! Private matters should be discussed in the TdB Member forums!
Any post which is deemed too sensitive for public consumption may be moved to the Private Discussions forum by Moderators.
Konrad
Class: Official Friend of the Clan

secrets of stonehenge

Post by Konrad »

This is to alert my Celtic friends that you might want to check out the current offering on PBS's Nova series, The Secrets of Stonehenge. I thought that it shed some new light on this ancient icon.

Konrad
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Re: secrets of stonehenge

Post by Comyn »

For those that missed it (including myself), here's a link to the program that you can watch online:

http://video.pbs.org/video/1636852466

While Stonehenge isn't of Celtic construction (neither is Newgrange or any of the other stone circles in England, Ireland, and Wales) - they were part of the landscape during Celtic times and may have been used by the Celts. In fact, according to Fergus Kelly at least one stone circle in the north of Ireland was referred to (in historical times) as "Brehon Chairs" (judge chairs) suggesting a folk memory of a time when these sites were used by Celtic peoples as a gathering place perhaps to conduct lawsuits.

Thanks Konrad!