Celtic Steel

Anything that comes to mind. Members should use the TdB Member forums for official or private business. Forums in this area are readable by anonymous visitors, and registered users can post here.
Forum rules
Use this forum to discuss topics of history or craft as related to our hobby.
As this is a PUBLIC forum, be discrete! Private matters should be discussed in the TdB Member forums!
Any post which is deemed too sensitive for public consumption may be moved to the Private Discussions forum by Moderators.
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

Celtic Steel

Post by Comyn »

While researching a little about the Ringgriffmesser described by Gobae, I found the following which might be of interest to smiths, and decided to post it here for lack of anyplace else to stick it.

Steel Materials in Celtic and Roman Periods – Part 2
Journal BHM Berg- und Hüttenmännische Monatshefte
Publisher Springer Wien
ISSN 0005-8912 (Print) 1613-7531 (Online)
Issue Volume 152, Number 7 / July, 2007

Summary

Celtic steel was a commodity much sought-after in the Roman Empire due to its outstanding quality. 34 Celtic steel artefacts from the archaeological sites of Gründberg/Linz and Magdalensberg/Carinthia, dating from Roman times (100 B. C. – 100 A. D.), have been subjected to microanalysis. As shown by the analysis of specimens based on steel samples from the province of Noricum, the single pieces consisted of numerous components of different steel grades. The result is a banded structure of the artefacts, which can be attributed to the forging technique usual in the Celtic era. First, several crude steel blanks were hammered into a bar. The workpiece was then got from these steel bars by fire-forging. Depending on the hardness and toughness required, unalloyed or alloyed steel grades were used. In the course of forging, hard elements were embedded in a matrix of softer metal (multilayer material). To achieve the desired hardness of the steel bars, one method was to add phosphorus or carbon. Alternatively, annealing in a charcoal bed at 1000 °C followed by rapid cooling was in use during Roman times. The results of the metallurgical assessment prove that the designation "quality product" for "Norican steel" is fully warranted.
Cormac
Class: Official Friend of the Clan

Only Summary?

Post by Cormac »

Is only the summary of that article available? I know some archaeological paper publishers only make the abstract publicly available.

Also, is the original in German? There are some metallurgical mistakes in the summary text and I'm wondering if it's a translation error.

"Annealing" is a slow cooling starting above critical temperature (1800F) not the rapid cooling described.

Also, phosphorus will not make iron hard like they claim only carbon does. P makes iron "hot short", brittle when at working temperature.

Cormac McInnean
Ollamh Gobae (Mastersmith)
Ancient Celtic Clans
Comyn
Class: Aurrad (Member)

steel link added

Post by Comyn »

I updated the post with the link to what I found. The entire article is available for a price.