Period Food

Anything that comes to mind. Members should use the TdB Member forums for official or private business. Forums in this area are readable by anonymous visitors, and registered users can post here.
Forum rules
Use this forum to discuss topics of history or craft as related to our hobby.
As this is a PUBLIC forum, be discrete! Private matters should be discussed in the TdB Member forums!
Any post which is deemed too sensitive for public consumption may be moved to the Private Discussions forum by Moderators.
Aonghus

Period Food

Post by Aonghus »

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiFDfYByjo8

The women in the video is Regina Sexton - a food historian. She wrote "A little History of Irish Food" - one of the books in my library circulated at a meeting.

The story read in the video is Aislinge Meic Con Glinne, "The vision of Mac Conglinne".

The tale is told in Middle Irish i.e. from a later time period than ours, but the food is very much the same (hence why it is referenced during "St. Patrick's Week").

The story is about a poet (Mac Conglinne) that is beaten up by a bunch of monks for satirizing them. While in captivity awaiting further punishment he has a vision of an angel that tells of a fantastic land made of food. He tells his captors of this vision and they spare him, believing if he were to recite the vision to King Cathal - it will cure him of his gluttony.

King Cathal's gluttony is caused by a demon living in his throat. Mac Conglinne exorcises the demon by administering something akin to the "Ludovico treatment" from a "Clock Work Orange" and all the while relaying his vision - which serves to tease the demon out from Cathal (similar to the banana-lemon cookie method for removing tapeworms).

In any case, the story is considered historically significant, because the "vision" describes a land of food - in other words, it documents what was considered food at the time of its composition, even if it is presented in a fantastic manner at times.

https://archive.org/stream/aislingemeic ... 7/mode/2up

And I just like to point out that on page 35 of this story, kale is referred to as "effeminate"...

Chew on that bit of ancient wisdom hipster foodies!